ACCOUNTABLE: Southern Region Commander and former Goulburn Local Area Commander Gary Worboys fronted the media on Monday about Mr Norris’s deathSource: Southern Highlands News
Nanjing Night Net

HUME local area command police have been caught up in a death in custody.

A Mittagong man died on Sunday night after a violent confrontation with Bowral police at McDonald’s.

Inspector John Klepczarek from Bowral Police Station said police were called to a disturbance at the fast-food restaurant where Kevin Norris, 38, was acting aggressively.

“He had allegedly been involved in a domestic assault with his girlfriend and then left her house and went to McDonald’s and caused a disturbance,” he said.

“Two female officers were assaulted by Mr Norris.

“They sustained facial injuries and were treated at Bowral Hospital.”

Insp. Klepczarek said the two officers were thrown around during the altercation.

“One of the officers used capsicum spray in an attempt to subdue him,” Insp. Klepczarek said.

“He then assaulted the other officer who used a Taser.

“They eventually got handcuffs on him and transported him to Bowral Police Station.”

The officers called an ambulance as a precaution and Insp. Klepczarek said Mr Norris was in the dock when he slumped and lost consciousness and was unable to be revived.

Mr Norris’ girlfriend Raylene ‘Tess’ Waters told Channel Nine that her boyfriend had been on a three-day methamphetamine, or ‘ice’, binge at the time.

“They could’ve cuffed him,” she said.

“If there were that many police there, they could’ve held him down until they got him cuffed.

“He would’ve been that shaken and that revved up and that psyched that he wouldn’t have been able to take the shock of it. I feel the Taser killed him.”

However, Insp. Klepczarek said that was all now before the coroner where an autopsy was expected to be carried out this week to determine Mr Norris’ cause of death.

An independent critical incident investigation team has been formed to investigate.

Photo: Brittany Murphy

Original story:

Critical incident investigation underway in BowralA critical incident investigation has been launched following the death of a man while in police custody at Bowral.

Police were called to a fast food restaurant on Bowral Road at Mittagong about 8.50pm last night (Sunday 11 January 2015), in response to a man claiming that he had been attacked.

Officers from The Hume Local Area Command attended and the man was involved in a confrontation with police.

He was arrested and taken to Bowral Police Station, but died a short time later.

A critical incident investigation team from Cootamundra Local Area Command will now investigate all circumstances surrounding the incident.

That investigation will be overseen by the Professional Standards Command.

All information will be provided to the Coroner who will determine the cause of death and make any findings about the events leading up to the man’s death.

No further details are available at this time; however, police are appealing for witnesses to come forward.

Police are urging anyone with information in relation to this incident to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: https://nsw.crimestoppers南京夜网.au/ Information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence. We remind people they should not report crime information via our Facebook and Twitter pages.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Categories : 南京夜网


Comment are closed